Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A short Dualsport ride in the North Carolina Mountains

I had to go to Wilkesboro NC for work Tuesday so I took the Suzuki along with me. After finishing with the chores I headed north out of town toward the Blue Ridge Parkway and the mountains for some long awaited seat time. The weather was perfect and getting better as the day went on, the temp. made it to 70 degrees and the skies were mostly clear, perfect after the long winter and plenty of snow/ice.
I parked the truck near some NC game lands, unloaded and hit a couple of short gravel roads which led me to the BRP. A short ride on this well known scenic road brought me to Laurel Springs and Freebournes and Stations End. This will be the site of the 9th Annual ADV Rendevous Rally this spring. The 2 motels, bar, restaurant and campground should provide a great location for this rally May 13th-16th. After meeting the owners and getting the tour of the entire location it was back to the bike and Parkway.
As I reached 2800 ft. and above the snow was still quite deep on the sides of the road and the gravel roads still had spots of thick ice in the shady areas. There was zero traffic on the parkway and gravel roads, no one in sight. Perfect.






One of the fun parts for me is seeing the wildlife, today there were 2 Deer and about 9 Turkey.
I only had 3 hours of daylight so it was a short ride but it was plenty to remind me of why I've been watching the weather so close for Spring!


No comments:

Post a Comment