Thursday, March 18, 2010

Late winter at Camp Creek WV

With just a few days left in winter, the snow almost gone and the sun finally showing itself agin, it's definetly time to do some riding. I'm at my camper for a few days doing a little riding and chores. After a hard winter for WV, I had plenty of cleanup to do around the camper. I'm managing to do some RZR riding also.
Near Beartown Flats.


Lookin' south.


Click the pic for better look at that BLUE sky.


Under a train trestle near Micajah Ridge.

Southern West Virginia had the highest snowfall in 10+ yrs. this winter and record rainfall a week ago.The result is that every gravel road has large muddy sections and every creek has been running high and out of the banks in many places now.
Today I tried to ride some trails that have plenty of normally tame water crossings. A few i crossed by being lucky, 2 I got through by throwing rocks in select holes to get just enough lift keep my ass out of the melted snow runoff. And I did a Uturn at more than 4 creek crossin's because of the runoff. That' just the way it is with trail riding, sometimes it's easy, the other times you remember.



This was one of the lucky ones, it has a solid rock bottom, just like what the RZR is parked on. The crossings the have loose rocks wash out making for holes 3-4 ft deep.
I did say the snow was ALMOST gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment